Saturday, April 29, 2023

FAST DRONE FOOTAGE

This reminded me of when my parents took to Cinerama, a widescreen process that originally projected images simul-taneously from three synchronized 35mm projectors onto a huge, deeply curved screen. The nearest screen was at the Detroit Music Hall and the movie playing was "How The West Was Won" that featured an all-star cast with John Ford sharing the directing duties. It was in 1963 and I was nine years old. I clearly remember one shot, done at ground level of a stampede of horses/wagons/buffalo which drew a lot of gasps from the audience. The film, looking back, was pure White Man's Manifest Destiny mythological propaganda-hell, it had John Wayne in it. I'm surprised this hasn't been resurrected by some wacky Texas school board for required viewing in their American History classes.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, scenes like this conflate the sheer feeling of power and movement with rights and even destiny.

    ReplyDelete