Thursday, October 26, 2023

AUTUMN SUNDAY IN PLEASANT VALLEY

 

Even on a cloudy day,
the birches wave their earrings
shining like doubloons.

Amazon slides by.

The jays holler for peanuts,
rascally squirrels beg for them
for we have a symbiotic relationship.

Big Brown floats by.

We play ‘find the peanut’,
the ape flings them like a 2001 jawbone
onto the grass freckled with yellow leaves.

FedEx has stopped across the street.

The cat wants in and I open the slider,
he tails me as he walks by
out of gratitude and love.

I hear the driver start his truck.

It’s getting chilly and dusk comes early,
as I hear a few bars of a Monkees’ tune
now out of season.

FedEx rolls away.

I hear the jay holler a single note-please,
and I toss more peanuts
and he replies with two notes-thank you.


                                           



No comments:

Post a Comment