Friday, March 29, 2024

FRIDAY NIGHT MUSIC


 From 1964, "We'll Sing in the Sunshine" written and sung by Canadian Gale Garnett. She won the 1965 Grammy for Best  Folk recording. The story line is unusual for its time-practically proto-feminist-a woman choosing who she will spend time with, who she will love. She warmly explains the situation and either the man accepts or doesn't-no skin off her teeth. Curiously, she is following the advice of her Daddy-was he being overly protective towards his daughter or suggesting a realistic alternative?

We'll sing in the sunshineWe'll laugh every dayWe'll sing in the sunshineAnd I'll be on my way
 
I will never love youThe cost of love's too dearBut though I'll never love youI'll stay with you one year
 
And we will sing in the sunshineWe'll laugh every dayWe'll sing in the sunshineAnd I'll be on my way
 
I'll sing to you each morningI'll kiss you every nightBut darlin', don't cling to meI'll soon be out of sight
 
But we can sing in the sunshineWe'll laugh every dayWe'll sing in the sunshineAnd I'll be on my way
 
My daddy he once told meHey, don't you love you any manJust take what they can give youAnd give but what you can
 
And you can sing in the sunshineWe'll laugh every dayWe'll sing in the sunshineAnd you'll be on your way
 
And when our year has endedAnd I have gone awayYou'll often speak about youAnd this is what you'll say
 
We sang in the sunshineYou know we laughed every dayWe sang in the sunshineThen you went on you way

 

A year later in 1965, came this fine example of teen angst by the Shangri-Las reflecting the attitudes of the times. Bad girl, ran away from home to be with some guy and broke her mama's heart. That's the price of sin, girl! The type of thing the current Christian mullahs would applaud and are working hard for the country to go back to.

I'm gonna hideIf she don't leave me aloneI'm gonna run away (don't)'Cause you can never go home anymore
 
ListenDoes this sound familiar?You wake up every morningGo to school every daySpend your nights on the cornerJust passing time awayYour life is so lonelyLike a child without a toyThen a miracle, a boyAnd that's called "glad"
 
Now my mom is a good momAnd she loves me with all her heartBut she said I was too young to be in loveAnd the boy and I would have to partAnd no matter how I ranted and ravedI screamed, I pleaded, I criedShe told me, it was not really loveBut only my girlish prideAnd that's called "bad"(Never go home anymore)
 
Now if that's happened to you, don't let thisI packed my clothes and left home that nightThough she begged me to stayI was sure I was rightAnd you know something funny?I forgot that boy right awayInstead I remember being tucked in bedAnd hearing my mama say(Hush, little baby, don't you cry)(Mama won't go away)
 
Mama!(And you can never go home anymore)Mama!No, I can never go home anymore
 
Do you ever get that feeling?You wanna kiss and hug her?Do it now, tell her you love herDon't do to your mom what I did to mineShe grew so lonely and in the endAngels picked her for a friend (never)And I can never go home (never) anymoreAnd that's called "sad"

 


No comments:

Post a Comment