Saturday, June 24, 2023

FIVE SECOND STORIES

Jack Smith stared at The Roach during the entire arraignment on June 9 while The Roach never once could raise his eyes to meet those of his prosecutor. Observers felt that the former President looked like he was being taken to the woodshed. After being indicted in Miami on 37 counts, El Hefe stopped by a Cuban restaurant, burst in and bellowed to the patrons that he had done nothing wrong and rehashed his usual litany of victimhood claims. Did he order? Naw, he hung out long enough for sympathy and "happy birthday" wishes  (June 14) and left. 

 

C calls this Buddy's hula with his arms and head turned to the side. I call it Buddy's hula with money shot.
 
First litter bun practically grown up



The last couple of days, we began seeing the second litter emerge. This little one could fit in the palm of my hand.

Right on schedule, the big orange daylilies are blooming

 Tiger in my garden
Buddy in Pepperville. I am v glad I spaced things like I did. C commented that he seems quite careful and not stomp or sit on anything. Good boy!

Cover art from the band Still Corners single "The Trip" fusing sci-fi with '50 Life magazine advertising:
"We have a new neighbor in close orbit. It's changing things."
Seen while out and about: we went over to LCC West so C could hang some flyers. Just before the parking lot we saw this:
The next generation of utility pole workers undergoing training. It was a startling sight-a bunch of guys at the same time climbing poles. Worse, the poles seemed not to be securely put into the ground for they wobbled as they climbed. Yikes!

Mr. Purple Finch looking resplendent in his summer plumage. Roger Tory Peterson, author of the seminal Guide to Birds, the first modern field guide in 1934, famously described purple finches as “sparrow dipped in raspberry juice". 
There comes a tipping point in one's life where you fully realize that Death is closer to your horizon. It may not be visible yet but one can feel it lurking. This comes after the "I have less time in front of me than behind me" era of our middle age. A few years ago, I had an elder friend of mine remark, wide-eyed over his pasta, "Christ, Jeff-I've only got 15 years left. Maybe 20 if I am lucky". This is doubly upsetting factoring in the phenomena of time accelerating as one ages. Days, weeks, months, years seemed to go one forever in younger times. Now, the years fly by. I was struck by the fact that I just recently passed the five year mark of my retirement. Five years! 
 
Well, my attitude remains as it was when I bailed: I want to enjoy the time I have left. I did my duty as a citizen, I always worked-all 47 years worth. I hear folks talk about the BS they have to endure on the job and I am so very happy and grateful that I don't have to do that anymore. I like the French attitude: you put in your years and retire when you are young enough (age 62) and hopefully healthy enough to enjoy life. And this is for everyone, not just those who had the huge salaries to bail early while the working class gets to work until they drop because they cannot afford to retire as it is in our miserable culture. 

1 comment:

  1. That is one pretty little bun. Concerning the Roach in the Cuban restaurant: witnesses said he shouted, "Food for everybody!" on arriving, but did not leave any cash or take out his credit card.

    ReplyDelete