Thursday, June 1, 2023

FIVE SECOND STORIES

 

The Manx Loaghtan sheep, a rare breed native to the Isle of Man. Fabulous horns, dude!


Imagine-living in a place where survival is dictated by the rainfall upstream on the river you live by. Some years provide a bounty, others during a drought, people starve. There are also occasional floods that bring lots of death.

He made a mistake when he bought by mail order shrubs whose bloom was a lovely violet. They arrived as twigs. He might see a blossom in his lifetime.

 

The flag was out for Memorial Day. Dark was settling in and they were shutting up the house. "You want to get the flag or leave it out?" he said as he went outside to grab the feeder. "No" she said, that would offend the Girl Scout in me."


Entitled official of the week, one of many, I am sure. From CNN:

"A government official in India who drained a reservoir to retrieve a phone he dropped while taking a selfie has been suspended from his job.

More than 2 million liters of water were pumped out of the Paralkot reservoir, over a period of four days, in an effort to retrieve the Samsung handset belonging to Rajesh Vishwas, a local food inspector.

Vishwas had been out with friends last Sunday afternoon when it slipped from his grasp at the scenic spot in the central Indian state of Chhattisgarh." 

This idiot is lucky. Many countries would execute this guy for creating such a worldwide public embarrassment for the Regime.

I had on for background noise one of those multi-hour, bluesy guitar vids with nice visuals. All was pretty professional until I noticed on one of the shots, the guy got photobombed by someone's head at the bottom of the screen for a half-a- Mississippi. Odd, I thought that the poster didn't edit this out. Charming or tacky? Or just didn't care.

 

 

When I travelled out West in 2005, this song exploded on the radio and was in constant rotation from OK to AZ. It was odd to hear as I was heading to live with my elderly parents and brother and his wife.

 

Officially, we only had .96" of rain for the month of May. One wonders if this will be the fifth drought summer in a row. Complicating matters is the fact that we are transitioning into an El Nino pattern which I think has been the culprit for all the wacky weather we've had in the past few months. 

 

I want to speak to the manager!

I was in the Back 40 mowing the lawn close to the Diner and there was a Red Winged Black Bird on the feeder. He became upset, flew up to a birch limb and as I passed underneath, continued to express his displeasure of having his meal interrupted by maintenance work. I didn't stop. I mow once a week if that these days and rarely are there anyone at the feeder when I do. "Luck of the draw, boyo" is my attitude. I am sure I'll get scorched on the Avian websites. Whatever.

Siberian iris in bloom

Tiger in my backyard:

Buddy enjoying the shade and cool of the evening.

1 comment: