Tuesday, December 20, 2022

FAREWELL FROM 55 MILLION MILES AWAY

 

NASA's InSight dome-covered seismometer

InSight, the NASA lander which arrived on Mars in November 2019 has signalled that it probably will be shutting down soon due to lack of power caused by dust covering its solar panels. InSight's mission was to undertake geologic excavations making the first measurements of marsquakes. 

Ok, this is often the case with the machines we send out into the universe. Batteries wear out, solar panels are compromised. What I find odd are the statements that NASA attributes to the robot (I usually have the HAL 9000 voice in my head when I read them). Here is one from last month where it reminisces about its time in space:

“I’ve been lucky enough to live on two planets. Four years ago, I arrived safely at the second one, to the delight of my family back on the first. Thanks to my team for sending me on this journey of discovery. Hope I’ve done you proud." 

I dunno, did the robot actually think and transmit this message or is NASA conjouring some weird anthropomorphic myth/narrative for our valiant, but doomed explorer? In what could be InSight's final transmission on December 19, it explains the situation:

“My power’s really low, so this may be the last image I can send. Don’t worry about me though: my time here has been both productive and serene. If I can keep talking to my mission team, I will – but I’ll be signing off here soon. Thanks for staying with me.”

The message reminded me of another doomed explorer-Lawrence "Titus" Oates-who was part of the ill-fated Scott Antarctic pursuit of reaching the South Pole in 1912. The expedition arrived at the Pole only to realize that the Amundsen Norwegian group had been there a month prior. On the return trek to Base Camp, Oates, with badly frozen feet, walked out of the tent into a blizzard. He did not want to hold up and burden the others and reportedly said "I am just going outside and may be some time" as he exited, later to succumb to hypothermia.

Eton-educated cavalry officer Lawrence Oates. Photo was taken in 1911 during the Scott Antarctic expedition by photographer and cinematographer Herbert Ponting.
 

This is the stuff of legend and fits nicely into the Edwardian view of English gentlemanhood: duty, honor, sacrifice; attributes that survive to this day in many cultures.

PS. On December 21, NASA announced that InSight had not responded to two attempts to communicate and is presumed to have lost power.


No comments:

Post a Comment