Monday, September 14, 2026

FIVE SECOND STORIES

9/7-Waning Crescent Moon and Jupiter just before dawn: 


9/8-East Garden:

9/11-deck garden:


Buddy is a longfellow and a funny boy: legs and tail hanging over the end of the chair cushion:

Seasonal rosy pink colors in the hydrangeas and sedum: 


The new squirrel, who I think was here in March, is certainly making himself known-took on MamaC and LG squirrel-then I saw him introduce himself to Bud:


Fortunately, Bud is pretty chill around the squirrelies-too big to eat unlike their unfortunate cousins the Chippers. He just keeps a patient eye on them. This one hung around for a couple of minutes before retreating. I've named him Harry, pointing to the Michael Caine character Harry Palmer from his mid-60's roles-a cool, tough crook turned spy. This guy has moxie, for sure.

We've been noticing Bud likes to lounge in the driveway. Certainly, a clear and visible signal to all-this is my realm. Our neighbors across the street have commented several times mentioning this trait of his.

I planted 4 russian sages around the ground down stump of our oak that perished in the past couple of years. I tried growing grass but it failed. Then I realized when I was mowing that I would be scalping any grass because of the slope. I put in the sages so as they mature, their spread will cover this bare spot.


9/12-took down the tomato bushes. Production had ended and what fruit remained wasn't turning. Better luck next year!

On a comfy early Fall afternoon after eating, folks were taking a siesta:

 
After a while, MamaC was feeling peckish and thought she'd check out the Buffet. Well, something new! Some elderly romaine lettuce C put out and I added some toms that were in various stages of ripeness. One of our family jokes is that few of our wild friends will try lettuce. None of the Buns-hell, they turn up their nose at carrots!

Mama evidently enjoyed a different kind of green as she snarfled it all up. Not so much with the toms. Someone will eat them.

9/13-after living in Tucson, AZ since 1980-81, my brother Mike and his wife are being moved to an assisted care facility in The Villages, FL located NW of Orlando. Martha's sister lives nearby. I wonder how Mike will react to living in a tropical climate for the first time since he was in 'Nam.


~

This Summer was the hottest on record for the contiguous 48 U.S. states in NOAA's 132-year history dating back to 1895.

~

I had never heard of this: The Northern Crusades (also known as the Baltic Crusades) were military campaigns from the 12-15th century aimed at converting pagan tribes and Slavic populations around the Baltic Sea to Latin Christianity. 

Callanish Stones: a prehistoric stone circle and stone alignment on the west coast of the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. The monument was built during the Neolithic period, around c.2750 BC

Tom Richardson

Gail Higginbottom & Roger Clay / RCAHMS.

A lunar and celestial observatory most likely tied to ceremonial rites.

  • Lunar Standstill: Research shows the stones are precisely positioned to track the Major Lunar Standstill, a rare event occurring every 18.6 years when the moon skims unusually low across the southern horizon. 
  • Solar and Stellar Alignments: Specific stone rows align with equinox sunsets, the midwinter setting sun, and stellar risings like Capella or the Pleiades. 
  • ~

    Hypnokitty!

     

    OBEY ME! FEED ME!


    FUBARland: it was good to see some good old-fashioned, boots on the ground canvassing from both the El Sayed and Lawrence campaigns in our neighborhood!
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment