Monday, November 1, 2021

MOTHERS AND DAUGHTERS

 

                                                                                                                                               William Perugini

In today's Times, there was an essay by regular contributor Margaret Renkl reflecting on her turning 60 years old. One of the passages was particularly touching and in my opinion unusual:

...This is just who I am now, a person who looks exactly like her late mother, despite far more exercise and a far healthier diet. Besides, I loved my mother, and I love seeing her again in every store window I pass.

I do not think I have ever heard such a loving and positive expression by a woman about her mother. Usually, it's "ugh, I look just like my mother." So many women I know don't have such a fondness for the one who made them. All the "baggage" from growing up and adulthood with deep archives of anger, hurt, disappointment and worse. Tis a shame.

1 comment:

  1. I would distinguish between the daughters who suffered from bad mothering, and those who loved their mothers but feel society's disdain for the appearance of older women.

    ReplyDelete