Sunday, November 19, 2023

FIVE SECOND STORIES

 It's gotten chilly-in the low 20's:



Still, the sun is strong:


 


My next door neighbor is out mowing nearly everyday possible to keep up with the huge droppage of leaves (see above). I am lazy and just will try and tackle it before the snow comes...or just not worry about it. For him, it gives him something to do.

You can see where he mows.


Oaks can be difficult for they are late droppers. Now, I have not known many oaks but at least this one is quite obnoxious. Like one of those drunken louts in a pub who is only tolerated because he is 6'8". "Ha, ha, ha" he yells everytime you are out, "I got more for you M............s!

Patterns

                

Hoosegow-slang for jail The word comes from the Mexican Spanish word “juzgado,” meaning “tribunal” or “judge. The ending was corrupted to "gao".

 

I just learned that the Britspeak word "spare" means "to be very angry or upset". This adds a layer to Prince Harry's memoir "Spare" which Yanks would presume meant his status in the line of succession. His brother William is the heir, Harry is the "spare". Evidently, Harry is pissed about it all. 


Gaza and the Israelis: this is a very, very, very old feud and it is astonishing to see it rear it's ugly head in 2023 as a continuation from several millennia ago. I'm not knowledgeable about their holy books but I would bet there are warnings about this kind of savage tribal bloodletting. But it seems few are listening to these warnings and worse, each side thinks they have the blessing from their version of a supernatural being! WTF.

Common Lionfish, pterois miles, the Moe Szyslak of the coral reefs.

Deborah Byrd

For the past few weeks, we have been treated with both a morning star, Venus and an evening star, Jupiter.

A watergirl who becomes one with the sea, helped by a flying spirit guide. Artist unknown. 

Stumbled upon while surfing YT: fabulous time-lapse shorts of plants growing from seed. My fav is the sunflower.
 
C bought me the Mad Magazine Stocking Stuffer and this was a feature from a bad gift catalog. Reindeer Orgy! This puerile sense of humor from Mad always appealed to me and I would rightfully say is one of the foundation stones of what I find funny.
 

Meet Mr. Red-breasted Nuthatch! I saw this little guy in the willow next to my office today. I had no idea he lived here! 
PS He's been hanging out- flitting around. I noticed his shape even with the shade closed. I wondered why he was here and it came to me: crabapples! I bent over and craned my neck to see the tree. Yep, he's been feasting all day at the Krabappel Kafe!
 
Modern fable: Simpson's Edna Krabappel dies and  reincarnates as a crabapple tree. It's one of god's jokes, the kind he is gently scolded about by the administrative angels. Stranger still, the tree contains much of Edna's consciousness. So, the teacher reads up on crabapple trees (please don't ask me how) and decides that since she creates this fruit and it is an important food source for many, she will be the very best she can be as a crabapple. So it goes. She opens the Krabappel Kafe and remains open for 40 years. Edna had never felt such a rewarding life. That was her gift-she was a nurturer. 
 
The administrative angels thought this would be a perfect way for the almighty to make up for his bad joke: Moving forward, each reincarnation will speak to her strength. It's such efficient use for this resource purred the actuaries. None of these half-wits bumbling around, doing a half-ass job, never learning a damn thing from one life to the next. 
 
Now, this is unfair. You created this glitch and you continue to be shocked, shocked I tell you sir, when we only use the cards we have been dealt. Use your powers, wave your hand. 
Upgrade us.

Oh well, small victories. It's always a rare find to run into folk where work gives them joy and have managed that tricky jujitsu in life, pursuing successfully that what makes them happy and so much more and get paid for it. Teaching, I have found, is such an environment. C, her band of fellow travelers and all the Ednas, good on you.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment