Monday, June 21, 2021

A DARK, EMPTY AND STARLESS WOODS

 

At some point in the past week, I realized that I hadn't seen any fireflies yet. Inquires with friends all came up with the same observation: the fireflies are gone. Some blame the use of herbicides on lawns but I am skeptical: TruGreen and their ilk have been spraying poison for years. Why the collapse this year of the species? I wonder more about the severe drought we're in that began last October but I don't know enough about the life cycle of these creatures to know for sure.

This is a Rachel Carson moment for me, this loss of one of the little magical pleasures that comes with living on this planet.  It joins the loss of most butterflies and dragon flies whose sightings are now rare. It saddens me beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment