In the Neighborhood: For a couple of days, our Sandhill Crane friends visited many Diners and backyards. Here, they're on the berm behind us next to the Sparrow West building:
I had an amazing encounter with them: I was driving out to run errands and they were strolling on folk's lawns along our street. They paid me no mind, just kept walking as my car moved next to them.
They just stayed the 2 days.
8/14-Turkey Bros! The Gang of 4 were out visiting everyone's Diners. They visited Benny's but gave mine a pass-probably leery of the new construction next to mine. They followed the berm and checked out Johnny's backyard. Their alpha led the way:
They next went to John's Diner across the street. Curiously, the alpha kept apart from his pals while they fed-perhaps to stand watch.
After having a bite, they returned to Carrier Creek.
Our new pool deck/steps are taking shape:
Our tomatoes are ripening!
8/12- Total Solar Eclipse seen in Greenland, Iceland, Spain and parts of the Mediterranean. Here was the view from Corsica near sundown:
8/16: pool steps completed!
I'm going to plant some shrubs along the front to mask the cement footings. I'm leaning towards Diervilla or bush honeysuckle which has delicate yellow blooms in Summer and leaves that turn red in the Fall.
Today it got up to 87° and muggy with a chance of showers. Nice fluffy clouds, though.
Tiger in my backyard. Now that construction has ended, it's time for some patrolling.
One of his many outposts outside...
and inside:
Getting his hard-earned reward of belly-rubs from his Mum:
Exotic dessert on the Buffet-rainbow sherbet. It was nasty, more sweet than flavor. MamaC imbibed:
The next morning, the container was clean as a whistle-either she or Rocky's finished it off.
LG explored the new steps and enjoyed the solar cover posts as a convenient spot to have a peanut:
We were having supper on the deck and LG came over: Got Nuts??
It's probably been nearly 4 weeks since I've mowed the yard. It was getting shaggy especially up by the street where it gets any rain runoff. My attitude:
The lawn needs mowin' and I don't care
The lawn needs mowin' and I don't care
The lawn needs mowin' and I don't care
Gee, those weeds are nice and green.
8/18-I finally get out there and mow as some rain is promised for the evening. Mild and overcast-good working weather. Now, I have often observed that Mother Nature has a habit of letting we apes know that we are in her realm. Little cuts and scrapes from branches, bug bites and annoying noseeums. She outdid herself: all of a sudden, I discovered that we have several yellow jacket nests. The first was quite obvious-a hole about the size of a softball behind the pool that had been dug up. I think the Stampy's were responsible as I had seen a number of golf ball-sized digs across the yard. They are known to enjoy eating wasps and their comb. Plus, I could see wasps inside the hole. So, I'm out front and all of a sudden I feel a sharp pain: stung just above the sock line. I encounter more nests along the raised beds in the East Garden-stung twice more-on the other leg above the sock line and one of the bastards flew up my shorts and bit me in the ass! I ran inside, put ointment on the stings, switched to long sweatpants tucked into the socks and finished the mowing. Oi!
We got a nice soaker before midnight: all the models before I went to bed were forecasting .04-.2". We received an inch! Yay!
Meanwhile, the stinging changed to itch on the wasp bites. Calamine lotion became my new BF.
~
Fun fact-US did not issue birth certificates until 1902. How did the government keep track of new citizens? They did so through a decentralized patchwork of local, religious and personal records.
~
Origin of saying "the writing is on the wall": From Wiki-In the biblical Book of Daniel chapter 5, there is an episode concerning Belshazzar's Feast. The Babylonian king Belshazzar is said to have defiled the sacred vessels of the enslaved Israelites by using them to serve wine at a banquet. The feast was then disturbed by the appearance of a divine hand, which wrote a glowing inscription on a wall –the writing on the wall – which was interpreted by the prophet Daniel as a portent of Belshazzar's doom. Belshazzar was killed that night, and Darius the Mede succeeded to his kingdom.
This event has been portrayed by many artists over time including Rembrandt. One of the most intriguing was made by British painter John Martin in 1821. It became so popular with the public that the gallery had to install fencing to contain the crowds. It's quite a trippy piece depicting the moment Daniel makes his prediction amidst a huge banquet for a thousand guests held in an open air venue. Daniel is in a dark coat with a raised hand as the words of Yahweh-"MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN" appear glowing on a wall on the left side of the canvas. The guests are freaking out and running away from the apparition. Beyond the venue, you can see the moonlit sky, the Tower of Babel, the Gardens of Babylon and a Grand Ziggurat:
FUBARland: Mike Lindell, the Roach's pal and ass-kisser who ran in the MN primary for governor, was creamed yet refuses to concede defeat. I wonder if this is a test case for the GOP playbook in the mid-terms: refuse to concede in order to obfuscate and muck up the process. As I post this, he still has not conceded.
Insane in the membrane-UK style. Perennial ultra-rightwing asshole, racist, immigrant hater and Brexit-lover was running in a special election for his seat in Parliament. Neither Labour or Tories put forth a candidate to oppose him. Instead, there was Count BinFace, a inter-galactic space warrior:
The Count received about 25% of the vote in a poorly participated election. I bet Bender Rodriguez would be thrilled with him:






No comments:
Post a Comment