Tuesday, December 24, 2013

2 Guys Talkin'

B-Nice fire.

J-Sure is. Windy out, I can hear it and the trees are really moving. Nice to be inside.

B-You bet. Colder than mouse titties out there. 
B-Mom in bed?

J-Yeah, I tucked her in. Where are the girls?

B-The Grey Meatloaf is sprawled out in the library, snoring. The Crazy Calico is curled up on the loveseat.
 
J-Just the guys standing watch.

B-As it always has been. (stretching) Oh, nice and warm.

J-Yeah.
J- Man, that was good eats tonight.

B-It smelled good, what was it?

J-Individual shepherd’s pies, ‘shroom filling for Mom, cow for me.

B-Blechh on the fungi but those meat scraps were quite tasty.

J-It turned out. Mom was pleased but she is easy to please.

B-Family recipe?

J-No, just an Anglophile thing.

B-Well, that explains the claret, the Handel and All Creatures Great and Small on the telly.

J-(chuckling) Yep.

B-What did you have for Christmas Eve as a kid?

J-Well, my mother loved Christmas and was big on creating traditions. She lost her parents quite young and had a disjointed childhood. On Christmas Eve, as a nod to the ancient Swedish side of the family, she created a smorgasbord.

B-Ohhhhh yum! Fish?

J-Not so much as I was (and still am) a fussy eater. But one of the little things she made that Dad loved was an anchovy dip. I remember dishes and dishes of food. She cooked for a couple of days.

B-I bet that was good.

J-It was, we had leftovers for days. Dessert was crescent shaped pastries filled with ground nut paste called kolache. With a bit of powdered sugar on top. A recipe from my Slovak grandmother, my Dad’s Mom. I’m going to make some this week. They’re great with coffee.

B-Hmm sounds good.

J-You would just lick it, you wouldn’t like it at all. Guaranteed.

B-I might!

J-I’d be pitching it outside for Blossom.

B-What is Mom’s infatuation with that possum?  That animal looks like big, lumpy rat.

J-She’s not a rat, she’s a marsupial.  And Mom thinks she’s cute and is thrilled Blossom lives under our deck in the winter. You know how she loves critters.

B-Sigh. Well, I can’t object too much. I lived in the gas house the winter I was abandoned so I can’t really deny someone shelter.

J-Yep.

B-Whatcha drinking there?

J-Nose out of the glass, please. Cream sherry

B-Portuguese?

J-No, Spanish-Jerez.

B-Oh yes, the priest I lived with had that.

J-Must have been big doings this time of year at the Vatican.

B- You bet. The Catholics do know how to put on a good show.

J-I would hope so, this is their big day.

B-True that. But you apes have been meeting up around the winter solstice for ages, long before the Christians latched on to it. In fact, what we’re doing tonight has occurred ever since you guys came out of the trees, got a grasp of the climate and learned to make fire. It’s in your DNA, thousands of years of gathering around the fire on the longest night of the year. Hoping for the return of the sun, warmth and the miracle of life reviving. It’s a really old, old celebration. No wonder the Nazareth prophet story resonates so deeply with people.

J-And even if one doesn’t recognize that particular tradition, who cannot at least embrace the spirit of the season: peace on earth, goodwill to all?  Too bad it doesn’t work out.

B-Sigh-let’s not get morose. You need to enjoy the time you have left. Nothing you can do about the misery in the world. Always has been, always will be. But what you can do is not be miserable yourself. And not spread it to others. That’s the best you can do.

J-Ok, Bindiwan (scratching ears)

B-What’s that?

J-Hmmm?

B-Off in the distance.

J-Not catching it-you have the better ears.

B-Ahh, how lovely that they still do that here. Bells. It’s midnight.

J-Merry Christmas, buddy.

B-Merry Christmas, What do you have there?

J-Oh, a little something.

B-For me?

J-Yes, I’ll open it for you.

B-(nuzzling hand) Thanks, man. Oh! Something smells good. Good and fishy!!

J-Some treats.

B-(munching) oh yummers. Good Stuff!!! Check out your stocking, at the top.

J-You have something for me?

B-Sure, via Mom.

J-Hmmm, she did a good job wrapping this darn thing. Oh, Mozarts. How did you know?

B-(washing face) I know things.

J-Mmmm the chocolate/hazelnut goes with the sherry. Thank you! Oh look! It’s snowing.

B-Yes it is.
(sound of wind, fire crackling, distant snoring of a cat)
B- Well my friend, I’m going to settle down over here in the corner of the couch. You staying up?

J-For a bit. Watch the fire and finish my drink. You have a good winter’s nap, Bin.

B-You too. And a Merry Christmas to one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment